“And When Thou Art Converted, Strengthen Thy Brethren.”

 “And When Thou Art Converted, Strengthen Thy Brethren.”

- Jesus Christ (Luke 22:32)

This talk was given on October 23, 2022 in the Highland Glen YSA ward of the Alpine, Utah YSA stake. Stake President Brandon Doman attended, and area seventy Elder Richard N. Holzapfel presided.


Introduction

In 2014, as an undergraduate student at BYU, I sat in the JKB as Dr. Anthony Sweat taught a religion class about the Doctrine and Covenants. But I wasn’t really listening. I was entirely consumed in my own thoughts about truth. I wasn’t sure how we could possibly know that any of this was true.

I’m analytical by nature, and it’s in my personality to question everything. I don’t allow myself to be attached so firmly to any ideology that I’m unwilling to update my beliefs if new evidence enlightens new understanding. But at this point in my faith journey, that was a new experience for me. I had always been confident in my testimony and in my understanding of gospel truths, and I was frightened by these seemingly intrusive thoughts urging me to turn over ideological rocks that I’d always been firmly instructed to leave alone.

As I sat in Brother Sweat’s class, wrestling with these confusing feelings, 2 Nephi 26:22 come very clearly to mind: “The devil…is the founder of…works of darkness; yea…he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.” Immediately following that scripture, I formed this rebuttal in my mind, “But…if the church isn’t true, of course they would teach me not to go looking for truth elsewhere.”

So, in a moment of what I considered courage, I picked up my phone and texted a friend. Over the course of the many years I’d known him, this friend had gone from devoted member of the church to outspoken atheist. I always want to better understand the human experience of the people around me, so I asked him to explain what his faith deconstruction journey had looked like. He responded within minutes, and said, “Jess, I’m so glad you reached out. I’ve helped so many people get out of the church, and I can help you, too.”

Asking Questions Helps Strengthen Our Testimony

In General Conference a few weeks ago, Elder Stevenson taught, “Your testimony is a most precious possession. … It is your belief or knowledge of truth given as a spiritual witness through the influence of the Holy Ghost” (Nourishing and Bearing Your Testimony, 2 October 2022).

In order for us to build genuine testimonies, we shouldn’t be afraid of seeking answers to our sincere questions. Sheri Dew once taught, “My dear friends, questions are good. Questions are good if they are inspired questions, asked in faith, and asked of credible sources where the Spirit will direct and confirm the answer” (Will You Engage in The Wrestle, BYU Idaho, 17 May 2016).

Note that she says “credible sources” here, and not necessarily “church sources.” When I was working through my faith exploration, it was important to me that what I knew about the church, and what I knew about the world, made sense together.

Now, I want to note here that there is a distinction between what is true, and what we understand to be true. While I was working to discover what I believed, I was careful to acknowledge that just because I didn’t understand something didn’t mean it wasn’t true. I made sure to keep that in mind while exploring the ways in which the church’s teachings lined up with what I understood about the world. I recognize that’s not necessary for everyone’s testimony, but it is necessary for mine.

In fact, a pivotal moment in my faith journey came when I attended an area conference with Elder Ballard, where he taught, “I worry sometimes that members expect too much from Church leaders and teachers—expecting them to be experts in subjects well beyond their duties and responsibilities. The Lord called the apostles and prophets to invite others to come to Christ—not to obtain advanced degrees in ancient history, biblical studies, and other fields that may be useful in answering all the questions we might have about the scriptures, history, and the Church. … If you have a question that requires an expert, please take the time to find a thoughtful and qualified expert to help you.” (Questions and Answers, BYU, 14 November 2017).

Upon hearing this, I felt I’d finally been given permission to utilize non-church-sponsored resources to help me answer my questions. Up to that point, I’d felt a little bit like I was living in a closed-loop cycle, where I was being instructed to answer my questions about the church only by listening to what the church had to say.

Now, I’m not suggesting that we should abandon church resources when seeking answers to our doctrinal questions. When we have a question about a specific topic, we should heed Elder Ballard’s direction and seek experts on that topic to help us adopt a more comprehensive understanding. Say we’re seeking to better understand why emergency rooms are busier on nights with full moons. When speaking with a doctor, he might verify that his emergency room is, in fact, busier when there’s a full moon out. If we cease our search there, we may be inclined to believe that some supernatural force is at work that results in people getting hurt during full moons. If we continue our research with an astronomer, we’re likely to learn that full moons provide much more light than any other type of moon. A public health professional might add that because there’s more light on nights with a full moon, more people are likely to be outside after dark, engaging in activities that could potentially land them in an emergency room.

With all of these perspectives, we have a much more comprehensive understanding about the relationship between full moons and emergency rooms. But we wouldn’t have been able to come to that knowledge without engaging a variety of experts.

When exploring our doctrinal questions, we should take care to remember that the church, its leaders, and its study materials are experts in topics of faith and spirituality. If we’re seeking to better understand the church, but we only utilize non-spiritual resources, we’re missing a crucial voice in the conversation and the conclusions we draw will be incomplete. This is why leaders like Elder Holland have repeatedly taught, “In matters of faith and conviction, it helps to direct your inquiry toward those who actually have some!” (The Message, The Meaning, and The Multitude, 6 October 2019). 

Not Asking Questions is Far More Dangerous Than Asking Them

We don’t need to fear our questions. We can’t grow in our testimonies if we try to ignore the questions we have about the church and its doctrines. Nephi asked an inspired question to see what his father saw, and was blessed with the vision of the tree of life and an understanding of Christ’s infinite atonement (1 Nephi 11:1[JK1]). Joseph Smith asked an inspired question to know which of the churches, if any, were true, and was blessed with the opportunity to restore the Church of Jesus Christ to the earth (Joseph Smith  History 1:10[JK2]).

We, too, are blessed with understanding when we seek answers to our inspired questions.

To quote Sheri Dew once more, “We all have questions. Some are doctrinal, historical, or procedural. Some are intensely personal. … The Lord wants us to ask every probing question we can muster because not asking questions can be far more dangerous than asking them. In other words, sin makes you stupid – and so does refusing to seek after truth” (Will You Engage in The Wrestle, BYU Idaho, 17 May 2016).

Asking our questions not only allows us to build strong testimonies for ourselves, it also prepares us to participate in a unique but important form of missionary work by being able to better understand and empathize with members who are questioning. If the only place a doubter can find solidarity is with others who have left the church, it’s no wonder they often follow in those footsteps.

In the rockiest moments of my faith exploration, I often felt unheard and misunderstood by church members. All the talks and lessons seemed to reinforce my perception that everyone here at church was strong in their testimony, and that there wasn’t space in our congregations for people like me, who were questioning. And that’s harmful because the people who are weak in their testimonies are the ones who need to feel the most welcome attending our church meetings. We must get better at helping fellow members feel comfortable expressing their doubts, because when we don’t, they take their questions where they do feel heard – to members who have left the church. Just like I did.

Conclusion

When my friend told me he was glad I reached out because he could “help me get out of the church,” my response to him was, “I’m not sure I’m ready to leave yet. I just want to understand.” He was obviously very confident that the more I explored the questions I had, the more convinced I’d be to walk away from the church.

But he was wrong.

The more I addressed my questions, using a variety of church and non-church sponsored resources, the more I realized that in matters of God and religion – we all get believe whatever we want to believe. I have people ask me all the time when I talk about my faith journey, “Why did you choose to stay?” And the answer to that question is long, and involved, but ultimately it boils down to, “Because I wanted to.” I want to believe in God. I want to be a member of His church. And I want to stand as His witness.

Elder Stevenson listed the five key elements of a testimony in his conference talk, and I want to echo those to close (Nourishing and Bearing Your Testimony, 2 October 2022):

1.      God is my Faither, and I am His child. He loves me.

2.      Jesus Christ lives. He is the Son of the living God and my Savior and Redeemer.

3.      Joseph Smith is a prophet of God called to restore the Church of Jesus Christ.

4.      The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God’s restored Church on the earth.

5.      The restored Church of Jesus Christ is led by a living prophet today.

I know that for a lot of us, developing a testimony of our own can be gritty work. But I can testify that we don’t need to avoid asking the questions we have because we’re afraid of what we might discover. The church will hold up to scrutiny. Don’t be afraid of seeking answers to even your scariest questions, but remember to give the church and its spiritual expertise adequate weight while you’re seeking your answers. In doing this, I know you’ll come to the testimony that best suits you.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.   


 [JK1]For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.

 [JK2]In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, have a seat. We need to talk.

The Great Divide

"You Do You" is Satan's Counterfeit for "Love One Another"